Tuesday 10 July 2012

Day 6 - Bowling tournament

Lessons getting mildly more difficult as the week continues, but still good fun, especially as the last 45 minutes is always dedicated to an exciting vocab learning game (which in my case tends to just be embarrassing!). We played a game where we were in two teams and a member from each team went up to the board at the same time and had to make a sentence out of the word she gave us. Pretty easy if you've learnt the vocab from the day before, however being a silly like I am I didn't...

Therefore the game went like this:

My team were doing pretty well, we'd beaten the other team on writing a sentence first a few times. Then it was my go. I went up to the board only slightly panicking, up against Lun (Slovenia) from the other team. Our teacher wrote up postižený on the board and I thought "YES a word I know! It means comfortable!" So on my side of the board I wrote Můj pokoj je postižený (my room is comfortable) and Lun wrote Co známená postižený (what does postižený mean - which got some laughs). I was feeling pretty confident, at least I'd written a viable sentence! Then I noticed everyone was laughing at what I'd written..
It turns out the word postižený means "disabled", in the sense of "unable to move". So essentially on the board I had just written "My room is unable to move". Yay embarrassing!!

After lunch - The Bristol crew
Action shot - pre almost-disaster
Action shot of Nic
After some lunch (probably smaž but at this point I can't remember!) we met Paní Vonkova and some others outside the kolej and walked over to the bowling place. Now this is not the same as your standard 20 lane GoBowling as you'd get in the UK. This was a 2 laner, and pretty trendy on all fronts. A couple of throws in and we decided it would be British boys v British girls - a mistake as Michael turned out to be insanely good. About halfway into the game and I was getting very competitive, and intent on beating them (although it was becoming more and more apparent that we had no chance what so ever...) so I leapt up and chose the nice pink bowling ball and did a pretty snazzy throw. Aside from the fact that the barrier was down as the machine was still sorting out the pins.... Cue me shouting a LOT at the machine to hurry up, which thank GOD it did, and just in the nick of time it lifted up and I got quite a few pins!


Action shot of Nick
Lovely embarrassing day in general really! Gotta love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment